Social Media Cheat Sheet 2020
Writen by Jennifer
19th January 2020
Getting image sizes correct on social media is a big thing – and it’s even harder to do so when the internet is a sea of outdated (and often, false) information. Luckily for you, we’re on hand to set the record straight.
“Why is image size so important anyway?”
Well, apart from looking plain awful, incorrectly sized images can also reduce engagement and effectiveness of online content. The average consumer, for example, tends to remember only 10% of all information they read online, yet, when paired with a relevant visual, this increases to a MASSIVE 70%! What’s more, nearly 40% of marketers said that visual marketing was the single most important form of content for their business – yet, we doubt it’ll be anywhere near as effective if your visuals aren’t even cropped correctly!
You can’t reap the benefits of visual marketing without the right size image. Simple.
With that said, here’s the information you’ll need to create the best social media visuals for all main platforms:
Facebook Image Dimensions
- Single Images: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Cover Photo: 851 x 315 pixels
- Embedded Links: 1200 x 628 pixels
- Facebook Stories: 1080 x 1920 pixels
LinkedIn Image Dimensions
- Single Images to Company Page or Personal Profile: 1104 x 736 pixels
- Embedded Links on Company Page or Personal Profile: 1200 x 628 pixel
- Personal Cover Picture: 1584 x 396 pixels
- Company Cover Picture: 1536 x 768 pixels
Twitter Image Dimensions
- Header (Cover) Photo: 1,500 x 500 pixels (Twitter will resize this so we recommend having it slightly smaller)
- In-stream Images: 1024 x 512 pixels
Instagram Image Dimensions
- Square Images: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Portrait Images: 1080 x 1350 pixels
- Landscape Images: 1080 x 566 pixels
- Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 pixels
Google+ Image Dimensions
- Single Images or Embedded Links: 1200 x 628 pixels
- Cover Image: 1,080 x 608 pixels
Quick Post Sizes
Not everyone has time to create different sized pictures for all platforms, and if this includes you, we have the perfect solution; a 1080 x 1080 square! Not only is it ideal for Facebook and Instagram, it will also work well on all other platforms (just make sure you leave any text or critical elements away from the top and bottom borders to avoid cropping on Twitter).
So, now we know the sizes, what’s the easiest way to resize my images?
One of the easiest ways to resize your images while still maintaining their quality is using Photoshop or similar photo editing software – simply press Ctrl+Alt+I (or Cmd+Alt+I on Mac) and change the dimensions. Alternatively, if you don’t have access to this software, there are a number of free online photo editors (e.g. Pixlr or BeFunky) that have pre-set dimensions for quick and easy use.
Now it’s your turn!
Don’t forget, social media platforms are evolving all the time, and so are the optimum image sizes that go with them. While this information is correct at the time of publishing, we will keep updating it as and when requirements change – so don’t forget to keep checking every month or so to ensure your image sizes are still correct!
Don’t have the time…
Look professional and stand out from your competition with a professionally designed Social Media cover photo created by the Bee Social Marketing team.
Give us a buzz on Leeds: 0113 3206266 or Harrogate: 01423 297009 or click here to contact us.